Surgery Last resort to Stop snoring
Surgery is often used for treating snoring caused by obstructive sleep apnea. Different types of TAP (Thermal Ablation Palatoplasty) include bipolar cautery, laser, and radiofrequency.
* Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) tightens flabby tissues in the throat and palate, and widens air passages.
* Laser Assisted Uvula Palatoplasty (LAUP) treats snoring and mild obstructive sleep apnea by removing the obstruction in the airway. A laser is used to vaporize the uvula and a specified portion of the palate. Removing excess tissue enlarges your airway and reduces vibration.
* Radiofrequency-assisted uvulopalatoplasty or RAUP. Instead of a laser, thermal energy is used under local anesthesia to scar and shrink the soft tissue in the back of the throat
* Genioglossus and hyod advancement is a surgical procedure that prevents collapse of the lower throat and pulls the tongue muscles forward, thereby opening the obstructed airway.
* Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy treats snoring caused by problems with tonsils and adenoids. Often found in children.